7 Alternative Desserts to the Traditional Wedding Cake
Weddings are all about expressing love for one another as a couple and sharing a piece – pun intended – of who you are with your family and friends. So why not incorporate your unique love as a couple into every part of your wedding?
Couples are saying goodbye to the traditional wedding cake, and hello to a celebratory sweet that shows more of an individual expression of who they are as a couple.
Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Cake Pops. These fun and tasty treats seemed to reach new fame when Starbucks celebrated it’s 40th birthday by introducing these portable cake delicacies in 2011. These are perfect for a more casual outdoor wedding.
2. Macarons. Sweet and airy, these dainty delicacies are sure to add sophistication and class to any wedding table. While recently trending in the states, macarons have been the equivalent of a cupcake in Parisian society for centuries. They have an almond, sugar and egg whites-based shell, giving a light and crunchy texture on the outside and are slightly chewy on the inside, often held together by a filling, typically made from a ganache butter-cream, meringue or jam.
3. Donuts. Whether you’re getting married in the fall and want a rustic spin on the day, or simply have a thing for these classic guilty pleasures, donuts are sure to be a hit on your dessert table. Dress them up, keep them simple or create a tower, but one thing’s for sure – there will be no leftovers.
4. Cupcakes. If orange is the new black, cupcakes are the new wedding cake. These small versions of a traditional dessert give you and your guests a ton of variety. Chocolate, vanilla, ganache, red velvet, lemon. This option is all about a bride and guests who love choices.
5. Candy / Sweets Table. Perhaps you both have a huge sweet tooth, and maybe just want to emphasize the color theme. Consider the cute and casual option of a sweets table. Disclaimer: Kids might be the biggest fan of this idea.
6. Cookies & Milk / Cookies & Champagne. Like cupcakes, cookies are another classic that provides a variety of choices. We like the idea of pairing a favorite cookie with milk, or to add to the sophistication, perhaps cookies and champagne? We hear this could be the next big hit.
7. Pie. Last, but certainly not least, have a slice of pie. These homey comfort desserts are just the thing for an outdoor summer wedding, or a fall fest barn wedding.
Don’t see your favorite dessert here? Come up with your own alternative to a traditional wedding cake! Whatever you serve, make sure it expresses your own coupleness. And who knows? Your wedding could start the next new trend.